Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Attenuate highest highs?

On 19/02/2020 1:02 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
On 19/02/2020 11:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 19/02/2020 6:41 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

**Those "tinkling noises" you hear are somewhere around 3kHz.

**Should read: "....somewhere around 3 ~ 5kHz."

It seems to be higher.

**Until it has been measured, then we're both guessing. Few instruments
go as high as 5kHz. There is almost nothing beyond 10kHz in any music.

FWIW I just did this on-line frequency hearing test:
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html
and through my monitor-mounted Dell soundbar (with 25mm drivers) I could
hear to just over 12.5kHz but through the stereo in question could only
hear to about 11.5kHz. That's quite a bit lower than the last time I
used a similar tool a few years back. Maybe those years when I spent
hours several nights a week at a mixing desk at live (loud) gigs in my
20s are coming back to bite me?

So now I'm a bit baffled. The issue I have is due to sounds at the
highest frequencies that I can hear and that seems to be ~11kHz with
this system in the current configuration. Maybe they have a peak about
there or are flatter than the other speakers I've tried...

**Until you perform some measurements, you're guessing. You could try to
acquire a (preferably digital) parametric equaliser and perform some
measurements.

I still betcha room treatments will solve your problems. IME (which is
substantial), room treatments solve most mid-HF problems, PROVIDED there
is nothing inherently wrong with the equipment, or the amp is not being
clipped.

Very few instruments possess fundamentals that reach 5kHz. A very tiny
number posses harmonics of significant levels that exceed 10kHz.

Turn the volume down and see if the sound is still annoying. I suspect
you are clipping your amplifier. Clipping can generate large amounts
of high frequency harmonic content. And, just to shut down any myths
you may have heard: Valve amplifiers WILL clip and WILL generate
excessive high frequency harmonics if over-driven.

It's not clipping. The Dynaco ST120 I have hooked up at the moment is a
solid-state amp and I no longer own any valve amps.

**You've checked with a 'scope to ensure no clipping then? Or are you
guessing again? It might worth looking at the waveform on a 'scope to
see if there are no parasitics present.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au