Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Major Improvement!

In article ,
"Peter" wrote:

In reference to this topic I wonder if anyone might have had an opportunity
to evaluate the usage of Stabilant 22A vs. DeoxIT Gold for maintaining good
contact in connections?

Both manufacturers claim that their product is ideal for this purpose, but
the DeoxIT Gold is supplied in a much more user-friendly package, i.e. in a
bottle, premixed with a brush in the cap.

I've used both. As I understand it, DeOxIT Gold is more of a contact
cleaner than a contact enhancer. Stabilant 22 in a contact enhancer,
pure and simple. Basically, it's the Stabilant gel that has been cut
with isopropyl alcohol to make it easier to apply with minimum waste.
When Dayton-Wright was marketing Stabilant 22 as a product called
"Tweek" , their package instructions clearly stated that the connections
should be clean and free of contaminates. I use DeOxIT Gold to clean the
contacts, then I apply Stabilant. Whether or not Stabilant does anything
for the sound, there is simply no doubt in my mind that it does work as
a contact enhancer.

I was having trouble with the electronic speedometer in my Alfa Romeo
GTV-6. I fiddled with the connector on-and-off for a year. I couldn't
get it to work reliably. I knew it was the connection with the wiring
harness that was at fault, but no matter how much I cleaned the mating
surfaces, I couldn't get the thing to work. I was looking at cutting the
old connector off and splicing-in a "new" one purchased from an Alfa
-only wrecking yard. As one last attempt to avoid that, I tried
Stabilant on the two connectors (the male on the back of the speedo and
the female at the end of the cable) I mated them, reinstalled the speedo
into the dash panel, and I've never had any more trouble with the
speedo. I've also since used it on the power window switches and the
windows actually wind faster - both up and down. I KNOW Stabilant works
as a contact enhancer (so do The US government, NASA, and the US auto
manufacturers. It has a Mil-Spec number, a NASA number, and an SAE spec
number). What I really haven't experienced is a double-blind test to
ascertain whether or not the stuff actually results in any sonic
improvement when used on all the mating surfaces on one's stereo. On
that point I remain skeptical. I have noticed a difference, I took the
"Tweek Challenge". I treated one entire channel (right) with Tweek and
left the other alone When I switched my Audio Research SP 11 from "right
mono" to "left mono", and back again, the right channel sounded much
cleaner and clearer. Is this "challenge" worth anything? Not a brass
farthing. Expectational bias will make the right channel sound better
than the left just as well as Tweek will. But I do know this: It's just
good practice to make sure that all your mating surfaces are clean, and
tight and Stabilant 22 will ensure that you are getting the best
connection possible. .