Stewart Pinkerton

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:12:10 GMT, Lawrence Leung
wrote:

Tell me why can CD take over the dominance place of LP 20 years ago? Is
it because CD is so much better than LP? No! Everything is marketing my
friends, and if you can't accept it, I'm afraid you will be very
disappointed!

No, in the case of CD, it was *exactly* because it is greatly superior
to LP, and also vastly more convenient. The same cannot be said for
SACD or DVD-A vs CD, so that battle is indeed largely down to
marketing.

So unless somebody start talking about how DVD-A and SACD promote their
products, I think all other discussion will be pointless, forgive me to
say that!

Just think of that, who are the "main stream" music CD buyers? Some
audiophile tech. geeks like all of you here reading RAHE, or someone
don't know anything (or know very little) about sonic? And what can drive
them to buy?

Actually, the 'mainstream' war has been won by MP3, but that's of
little interest to most readers of *this* forum. BTW, do you classify
yourself as a 'tech. geek'? If not, why do you insultingly assume that
everyone else on r.a.h-e can be so described?