Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default Compression vs High-Res Audio

glenbadd wrote:
On Oct 19, 1:11=A0am, Sebastian Kaliszewski
wrote:

Well, the software to perform such test is AFAIR available for free. One
needs 24/192 recording, reduce it down to 16/44.1, upsample back to
24/192[*] (the information lost will to be restored) and comprare
original with processed audio using some ABX software.

OK, I'm able to try that. Should I expect all the content above
22050Hz to be missing from the upsampled 24/192?

Yes.

And below 22050 Hz the waveforms and spectrums should appear exactly
the same ?

Yes.

(compared to the 24/192 original)
What happens to the original 24 bit information that is below the 16
bit dynamic range of 16/44.1 ?

It's still there, but buried in a raised noise floor. [1]

Andrew.

[1] Digital Dither: Processing with Resolution Far Below the Least
Significant Bit, Vanderkooy, John; Lip****z, Stanley P., 7th
International Conference: Audio in Digital Times (May 1989)