Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Marantz PMD670 CF Memory Card

On 2/18/2013 10:16 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/18/2013 6:03 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
I just picked up a Marantz PMD670 recorder that uses a CF memory card. The
recorder is in pristine condition. It has hardly been used. It came with a
Renesas 64MB card, which will record 6 minutes in wav. Today I received a
Kingston 16GB ultimate 266X card. The recorder formatted it as an 8GB card, but
it will not record to it. The record light just flashes.

That's a pretty old recorder as these things go, made when nobody could imagine,
or at least imagine paying for a 16GB memory card. Have you checked to see if
there's a firmware update that expands the memory capacity? I think my Zoom H2,
when it was new, couldn't accommodate anything larger than 2 GB and a firmware
update allows it to work with, I think, up to an 8 GB card, but that was
probably the last update.

You could try an 8 GB card. Buy it from someplace where you can return it if it
doesn't work in your recorder.

Firmware updates have to be done by the company, based on what I've read. There
are plenty of posts about how fantastic Marantz support has been for others with
similar problems. In many cases, they update the firmware for free. Now it
appears that they have offloaded those tasks to Superscope Technologies. They
may be the same company.

I'm going to call them today to see if there is any hope for a firmware upgrade.
It would be worth spending a little, but if I'm going to spend a lot, I might as
well go new. One thing that appears to be the case is that Marantz is very
customer-oriented. If they help me with this old recorder, they're going to get
a very loyal customer, if they haven't already. (I've been using Marantz
professional equipment since the portable cassette days.)