Jerry G.

A number of years ago, I have seen something called a "CD Demagnetizer".
Yet, there is nothing magnetic about an optical CD. The seller of this,
really did some fancy explanations about this one.

Another one that I see from time to time, are AC cords for several hundred
dollars that are supposed to make the sound more accurate, and have less
noise. But, when questioned about the electrical system in the house, the
seller of these did a lot of skating around the question.

Many years ago, another one I saw was a special flashlight that should be
shined on CD disk before playing it. The idea was to neutralize any optical
noise patterns that can be formed on the disk. This special flashlight was
selling for about $100. The replacement lamps were $10, and the enhanced
batteries were something like $20 each.

There is another little gadget that I have not seen for a while. This one is
the cell phone bug. It is supposed to reduce dangerous radiation, and give
better reception. It looks like a little bug that the user sticks on to his
or her phone, located near to the antenna. I wonder if this one was pulled
from the market.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell me
little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they supposedly
improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect resonance" on your
individual components. What??? I could hardly contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he had
a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so precise,
that one could actually distinguish between two identically titled CD's
- by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

A_C