sancho

Default Facing subs towards driver or away

did you not understand what you read or were you trying to reply to a
different post?

"Luke Hague" wrote in message
Then how come it still makes a difference in a sealed box? And I do mean
sealed I tested my box under a vaccuum before putting the speakers in and

seriously doubt air gets past the subs with what I used to seal it.

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Jeff"

I been having a debate with some mates lately on which is better, to

have
you subs facing the driver or out the back of the car?
any opinions

Jeff

Here's the deal on this. At subwoofer frequencies it makes no difference

which
way the face of the woofer points. IOW, you can't aim a subwoofer.

On the other hand, it's often useful to face the driver/port away from

the
listeners ears. This is because distortion products (higher harmonics),

port
noise, suspension noise out-of-band artifacts and mid-range reflections

off the
back wall of the enclosure radiated through the cone can help cause
localization. So facing the driver/port away from the listener so the

cabinet
helps acoustically shadow these sounds can be useful.

Because acoustic sounds at subwoofer frequencies (approximately 100 Hz)

are
omnidirectional the SPL/Frequency response will be uneffected either

way.