Posted to rec.audio.car
suprstar suprstar is offline

Default Oh man I'm borred.......

I was going by 'mfreak' back then, but I wasn't a huge poster.. I
answered some newbie q's here and there, like how to wire up subs to
different impedances or whatever.. I never had a huge elaborate
system, (well I guess it depends who you ask :P ) No eq, the only
crossovers I have are the ones on the amps, no caps, no flashy
install.. Just a sub box in the trunk with a couple amps bolted to
it, and flop the back seats down.. I always had aftermarket speakers
in the 4 corners, the stock speakers would never take the power. I
like my music, I like it loud, and I try to be respectful in
neighborhoods etc, but yeah, even quiet bass travels pretty far. In
the old days I was obnoxious and stupid, everyone heard me coming and
going everywhere. Which means everyone knew I had a system. Which
means I got broken into a lot, and got 2 complete 2x12 dual amp
systems stolen. The junkyard guy knew me cuz I kept coming back to
get windows for whatever I was driving at the time. I got real good
at replacing glass.....

I've been into car audio since I ever had a car. My first car was an
83 ford ranger with an AM radio and one speaker! I took apart the dash
and re-wired some cheap HU and 6x9's in auto shop in high school, like
every day! I eventually got an mtx terminator 12 and god knows what
pos amp, and it's been snowballing since. I bought and sold tons of
amps and subs on ebay, just to try everything out. I lost a few
bucks every time, I considered it paying for the experience. ppi, rf,
kicker, alpine, mtx, pg, jbl, boston acoustics, you name it. I pushed
my feedback into the hundreds just doing that. Anyway, it kinda
plateau'ed off 10-15 years ago, it's as loud and bassy as I care for
now, no need to go any bigger. The sq is acceptable, I wouldn't mind
pushing it, but I can't really justify the expense.. I'd pay a lot to
get a little bit more, and I'm happy where I am now, I haven't bought
a new piece of car audio gear in years. Plus I have other more
expensive hobbies now. Ie recording and production, I have a fairly
decked out recording studio in my basement. I'm a metal head, I play
in bands, got tons of instruments, mics, acoustic treatment, anything
a typical rock band would need to play or record. I spend more time
and $ on that lately than anything else.

I had some Alpine R's once, 5x7's in the front doors of my mazda.
Someone told me the doors took 5x7's, but they took 6x8's. The 5x7's
fit tho, so whatever.. I wasn't blown away by them or anything, they
worked tho. I had em crossed over at 110 (per the dial on the amp)
and really pushed em really hard. I blew one of them and got a new
pair of pioneers that the install shop was talking up, they were
bigger, took more power, and cheaper. I didn't transplant those to my
next car. Actually, the only inside speakers I ever DID transplant
was a pair of infinity 63.3i's. I was broke and heard everyone
talking em up, I was drooling over those for months before I finally
got em. At first I thought they were VERY bright and harsh sounding,
I was kinda ****ed and suprised. IDK if they broke in, or I finally
got the crossovers/eq set right, but I eventually liked em a lot.

Oh well, g2g, I'm sposed to be working :P