Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Bose 901 EQ distortion

wrote:
On Dec 5, 2:22 pm, Chris Morriss wrote:
In message
,
writes

Hello all,
First, I like my 901s regardless so no flaming please.
I need help with this condition:
I have two sets of 901's. One pair of series IV and one pair of
series VI, both with the matching Bose EQ.

My problem is that some CD,s and even some passages on soother CD's
cause distortion when using the EQ. This can be at any volume level.
I have only had this problem with recent CDs. (Diana Krall, Chris
Botti) All my older CD's and the radio plays fine and loud. I have
tried different recievers, CD decks and even replaced all the caps in
one of the EQs. Anyone else having issues or know where I can find a
service manual for these EQ's?
Really appreciate the help

Perhaps the high output signal is overloading the input on the
equaliser. Can you make up a simple 6dB pad (a couple of 10k resistors
in an 'L' network for each channel)? This may drop the signal enough.
What is the input spec for the equaliser? Modern highly-compressed CDs
may be putting out 2V rms or so and that may be the problem.
--
Chris Morriss

Thanks for the help folks. Yes the problem seems to be on both
channels and I have tryed it on two different systems. I was
thinking to try attenuation as well. I have tried different CD
players and even drove the eq's input off of a portable cd deck
headphone jack with varied volume output and could detect the
distortion at very low levels. Does the RMS voltage value remain
constant on a headphone channel?

Something's odd here.

Are Diana Krall's CDs noted for being mastered at high levels?

The loudness wars have been raging since before hte mid-90's,
so I'm surprised these are the only two CDs that show this
effect with your Bose EQs.

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason