Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default converting WAV file to MP3

Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Scott Dorsey
This is why we pay mastering engineers. It's just like cutting LPs, you
are trying to pack 10 gallons of music in a 5 gallon container.
Something has to be thrown away. It's better for a person with ears to
help make the decision about what instead of letting the computer do it.

Again, agreed. But again, a reason why some LPs sound rather poorer than
others, even when coming from professionals.

When I was starting out, I was cutting 45s... and I was cutting 25 to 30
sides a day... so you can believe that not a lot of care and attention was
being paid on each one. With something like lacquer cutting where you
really are having to make real compromises, it matters a lot about how
much time and care and listening is done. Professionals are sometimes
too expensive to have the time to do it right.

The advantage of LPCM - flac is that no such judgements are needed.

I don't really see a need for flac. For local storage, disks have become
so incredibly cheap that just keeping everything around as PCM files is
no problem. On the other hand, if you want to stream over the network,
nobody has clients to stream flac and you are stuck using the formats
that people can read (namely MP3 and RA).