Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default converting WAV file to MP3

On 1/8/20 8:53 AM, wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:
IIRC I read similar reports some years ago somewhere like in JAES. Perhaps
due to becoming habituated to the sound of 'popular' music via mp3. So in
effect, coming to regard the alterations as a 'part of the music'.

I got a similar impression some years ago wrt peak compression on R3 FM
which seemed to make something like a piano sound 'warmer' with more
sustain than via iplayer.

Just remember that the MP3 format does not, in any audible way, affect dynamic range compression or
loudness processing. Two factors led to that mass public mis-perception:

1. The timing of MP3 becoming a viable consumer digital format coinciding with the advent of the
digital-era Loudness Wars.

2. That digital audio as a subject itself contains many words with two meanings. IE 'compression'. It is
both something done to level differences in music, and, is a convenient term for the data-reduction
performed in the creation of lossy formats such as MP3.

Great points.