Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Nick Gorham Nick Gorham is offline

Default 6N1P conflicting heater/cathode voltage specs

John Byrns wrote:
In article ,
Nick Gorham wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

One could then even connect the CT of the heater winding directly to a
live
indirectly heated cathode.

I have often thought of doing a 211 amp which
might run in class AB2, so CF drive is a good idea, and a high swing is
needed.
I would probably use a an EL84 in triode as the CF driver, Rout
200ohms,
so noise from stray C probably won't affect it much.

Yep, thats what this is:

http://www.lurcher.org/nick/images/211/

6sn7 - 6sn7 - el84 - 211

Produces about 32w with a B+ of about 950v

It looks like you are using input transformers in that amplifier, what
is your thinking on that?

Regards,

John Byrns

Two reasons, first the requirement was to support a balanced input, and
secondly it removes any issue with hum loops.

Given the first need, sending the RCA input through the TX's as well
made more sense. It provided the reduction in hum loops, and to my ears
had no negative effect on the sound. Also to provide balanced input and
single ended without the TX's would have required a lot of faffing about
with switching which to my mind would only tend to introduce problems.

--
Nick