Stewart Pinkerton

Default weakest Link in the Chain

On 10 Jan 2004 22:51:45 GMT, "=?iso-8859-1?q?J=F3n?= Fairbairn"
wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) writes:

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:58:06 GMT, "=?iso-8859-1?q?J=F3n?= Fairbairn"
wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) writes:
but capacitance has no effect in a speaker cable,

.. at the sort of levels you might expect in wires? I think
if I put a 100uF capacitor in parallel with the speaker
terminals something might be noticed :-)

No, if the amplifier is capable of dumping enough current, there will
be no audible effect whatever. As it happens, I *have* tried this with
40uF capacitors.

Gosh. I stand corrected. I was expecting that something
would give way. In a cable I suppose you would get filtering
from the combined effect of RL and C because they are spread
along the length. I wouldn't expect anything exciting at
audio frequencies, though.

To be fair, you can't do this with any old amplifier, it has to be
able to pump enough current to charge and discharge that capacitor!
Further, you don't get any RC filtering, you simply get RL filtering
with a high inductance cable. Since any reasonable cable will have a
capacitance of much less than a tenth of a microFarad, this isn't
generally an issue in any case.

Where do you find young listeners whose ears haven't been
damaged by excessive SPLs these days? My young neighbour
seems to listen at levels that make the airbrick in his wall
sound like the port in a speaker!

Oi lives in the country, oi does! :-)

as I tail off around 17-18kHz these days. :-(

I suspect I do to. I can still hear 15.625kHz OK (:-), but
apart from that I haven't checked.

Yup, another good argument in favour of 100Hz TVs!