Lawrence Leung

Default weakest Link in the Chain

chung wrote in news:RKFLb.8211$sv6.21706@attbi_s52:

So, some questions for you, is Mr. Harley an electrical engineer or
physicist? Does he have a cable theory, or is he just passing out his
opinions? What does he say about budget for cables?

Go read it yourself, and you will understand.

I personally don't believe in high dollar cables will automatically
give better sound.

So why not put down Home Depot or Radio Shack cables?

Listen, I said "I don't believe in high dollar cables will automatically
give better sound." That didn't meet I believe hook up my ten thousand
dollars equipments with some cheap and dirty copper wire make any sense.

The ultimate purpose of a Hi-Fi system is one word:
"transparent", like the singer is singing right in front of you in
your listening room, like the whole orchestra came to your listening
room to perform in front of you.

Transparency in a cable is extremely easy to accomplish.

No, it is not, unless you cannot or refuse to distinguish the differences

Cables cannot make any source sound better, the best it can do is to
100% translate the music from that source. Now, tell me, as a linkage
between the amplifier and speakers, or linkage between your preamp
and amplifier, or linkage between your source to your preamp. Should
we pay more attention to that? Or just stuff them with some cheap
copper wire? The choice is yours.

Transparency in a cable is extremely easy to accomplish. You can
verify this by making measurements, or by doing blind listening tests.
You can buy cheap copper wires, or you can buy the same wires with
designer labels and pay. The choice is yours.

There is a problem here. By doing measurements or doing blind tests, you
can tell the difference but that would not give you audio transparency.
You cannot find the same cheap copper wires with designer labels, if you
can, prove it. That is a very irresponsible accuse.

Typically I think 5% of my budget on cable is an absoulte minimum,
but I would not go more than 15% of my entire budget.

Why would there need to be a lower limit on cables? Why would a more
expensive system require more expensive cables?

A more expensive system suppose to have a higher definition, higher
ability to reproduce the original source, hence need better material to
transfer the sound to the speakers.

What you have done is to provide amusement to some of us .

That is a little rude, I tried to be polite and objective... But, hey, if
I can provide amusement to some of you, that's good. Because some of us
here already laugh enough for other opinions.

Lawrence Leung