Pietro

I know there's been a few "how to record drums using X number of mics
and X number of tracks" threads. But here's something I was thinking
about tonight: most of us would not hesitate to record an acoustic
instrument (e.g., a piano) in stereo using only two mics routed to two
tracks. A drum kit is an acoustic instrument. Does anyone reading this
routinely record drum kits using a single stereo pair of mics? I used
to do this a long time ago, but I had ****ty mics and zero experience
at the time--and was recording in lousy rooms--so the results were not
good.

Just trying to get another stimulating RAP discussion going...

Imho, two mics is a very good starting point. Yeah, you'll get no big
kicks and thunder snare.. but I've seen too many beginners that start
with 15 mics.." 'cause the Professional do it this way... ".

Ciao
Pietro