Mike Rivers

In article writes:

most of us would not hesitate to record an acoustic
instrument (e.g., a piano) in stereo using only two mics routed to two
tracks. A drum kit is an acoustic instrument. Does anyone reading this
routinely record drum kits using a single stereo pair of mics?

I've used a Studio Projects LSD-2 stereo mic on drums a few times and
it sounds just fine. It wouldn't please someone who builds a mix
around a hot, cracking snare, but for jazz, folky-with-drums, and
quick demos, it works. Of course the drums have to sound good and the
drummer has to balance himself. Otherwise it's like recording a guitar
where one or two strings are 20 dB louder than the other strings.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )