Sugarite

I know there's been a few "how to record drums using X number of mics
and X number of tracks" threads. But here's something I was thinking
about tonight: most of us would not hesitate to record an acoustic
instrument (e.g., a piano) in stereo using only two mics routed to two
tracks. A drum kit is an acoustic instrument. Does anyone reading this
routinely record drum kits using a single stereo pair of mics? I used
to do this a long time ago, but I had ****ty mics and zero experience
at the time--and was recording in lousy rooms--so the results were not
good.

Just trying to get another stimulating RAP discussion going...

Drums are not one instrument, they are an ensemble of very different
instruments configured for one person to play, which is why they're so
troublesome to record. Just because one person can play them doesn't mean
that every instrument projects ideally for a pair of mics to capture.

If there were a percussionist for each drum and cymbal, then they would be
positioned very differently, and perhaps the performers would bump elbows to
accommodate a more ideal acoustic presentation.

In the meantime, there's no way a stereo pair can capture a kick and snare
set up for one drummer with any fidelity to either drum, never mind the rest
of the kit.