fronobulax

Default Bose 901 Review

Peter Sammon wrote:
Peter Sammon wrote in
:

http://www.epinions.com/content_105506836100

I love it when people say that Bose is not taken seriously by the rest of
the industry...of course if you are referring to the so called HIGH
END...there is a great reason why...because the high end hates Bose and the
901 and generally will go to great lengths to deter people from giving the
speakers any credibility by using the same stupid excuses like "older
technology", Direct/Reflecting sound obscures the image rather than
enhances it, no direct competition in the particular store of purchase etc.
etc. I, for one DO NOT play politics nor will I succumb to these ploys by
the so called experts who have their noses too high in the air that they
cannot even smell what life is made of. Thanks anyway for your comments.

Peter

I spent quite a few years in Massachussets in and around the hif-fi
scene and, for a time, worked as a temporary employee at "The Mountain"
in Framingham. I was employed as a technician on a project to build a
custom mixing console for the marketing department. At the time, Bose
was using a multimedia slide-tape show and a pair of doctored 901 series
IIIs (driven by a four-channel amp with one channel feeding and
independent signal to four of the eight rear drivers). The amount of
effort spent on these specialized shows was stunning. The tapes were
carefully tweaked, the program material was carefully selected (and
presented in two-to-four second snippets) and an awful lot of voice-over
marketing hype was applied.

To me, that is the genius of the Bose company. They convince people that
little plastic boxes with $2 drivers in them are somehow worth six or
seven hundred dollars.

And if you think that it's "audio snobs" who are jealous, here's a
little story. About a year and a half back, I designed and built a set
of transmission-line speakers. This was the first set of my speakers
that my second wife had ever heard. Prior to marrying me she was the
proud owner of a plasticky Onkyo all-in-one system. When I hauled the
new TLs out of my basement shop and hooked them up, she sat slack-jawed
at what she heard. About a month later, we found ourselves in a Bose
store and we watched and listened to one of these multimedia
extravaganzas for the Bose AM-7s. I made a point of not saying anything
to her. When I aked her what she thought, she said that the Bose product
couldn't hold a candle to my TLs. As others have suggested, you really
do need to go listen to something else.

Peter Hansen
www.geocities.com/bunkie21 (for those interested in my TL design)