Posted to rec.audio.tech
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default 1'8" Stereo to RCA Sound Quality

"JBones" writes:

Laurence Payne wrote:
On 15 Nov 2006 17:22:51 -0800, "JBones" wrote:

Yes I'm going from 1/8" stereo to RCA stereo. Perhaps running the
signal through a preamp first would help?

There's nothing inherently wrong with: "Even when I boost the volume
on the MP3 player to about 3/4 full, I still have to crank the
receiver volume much higher than I do with a direct RCA to RCA input
device." Some sources are higher level, some are lower. That's why
equipment as level controls. Why not set the player volume to 100%,
if that's what it takes? That's all a preamp would do, after all :-)

Might the player have a bass boost function? This is common in
portable players designed to drive earbuds. But it should be defeated
when feeding speakers.

Have you told us what model MP3 player you have?

But the preamp doesn't eat up my battery charge!

Neither does feeding it to anything other than headphones, including
whatever you're trying to drive. All are going to be high impedance,
low current draw inputs whether they're labeled preamp or not.

High volume setting doesn't necessarily mean you're going to radically
reduce your battery life if you're feeding down stream electronics.

I don't have the effort to run it through the pre-amp, it's just not
worth it. I'll stick to MP3 CDs for the receiver.

Does that work through the same cable you're inquiring about?

/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband