Posted to rec.audio.tech
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default 1'8" Stereo to RCA Sound Quality

"JBones" writes:

On Nov 15, 8:05 pm, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 15 Nov 2006 16:56:32 -0800, "JBones" wrote:

I can connect an MP3 player to my home stereo using an 1/8" stereo to
RCA jack, but I'm not satisfied with the sound. The signal seems low
with too much bass. Even when I boost the volume on the MP3 player to
about 3/4 full, I still have to crank the receiver volume much higher
than I do with a direct RCA to RCA input device. I've tried this with
two different MP3 players with the same result. Is there simply a loss
of quality going from 1/8" to RCA? Any suggestions to improve the
sound quality are appreciated. Thanks.I hope you're using a stereo 1/8" jack plug to *two* RCA jacks?

Doubtless the output of the player is designed to drive a pair of
headphones. This is not a good match for Line In on an amplifier.
Sometimes you get away with it.

But do check first that you're using the right cable. It's a stereo
connection.

Yes I'm going from 1/8" stereo to RCA stereo. Perhaps running the
signal through a preamp first would help?

Test that cable to verify there isn't a short in there. Try another
cable.

There should be no discernible loss whatsoever going through a
properly manufacturerd 1/8" stereo to Right/Left RCA cable like this.
I use them frequently with portable CD players, my Creative Nomade
Jukebox, iPod, etc.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H