Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default Line-levels thru XLRs

wrote:
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I understand that XLRs can handle line-level
signals or mic signals just fine.

XLRs are just connectors. You can put up to 15 amps at 600 volts on
them. You can run mike levels, speaker levels, power, intercom, line
signals, anything you want on them. AES/EBU digital audio, even.

Thus, I can send DI and mic signals
back to my board thru a snake's XLRs and send the board's line level
outs back to the powered mains thru different XLRs in the same snake.
True?

Sure. Snakes with returns, though, will tend to have a couple XLR
connectors that are different gender than the others. If your snake
isn't set up that way, you'll need gender-bender adaptors for the returns.