"Barry Mann" wrote in message
om...
In k.net, on
10/13/05
at 12:15 AM, " said:

[ ... ]

I thought it might offer some alternative to those who get their
panties in a twist at the mention of ABX.

I'm not sure if the null speaker test could satisfy many listeners.
Generally, one wants to discover which is best "A" or "B". In the null
test one can only establish that there is a difference.

But, if there's no difference, ther's nothing to prefer other than features.
Since there seems to be preicous little in the way of differnce as revealed
by ABX, and since there is a vocal and very nasty cadre of people who scream
that it HIDES difference, it seems to me that a way that doesn't require
blinding or several trials, a simple, objective comparison like a null test,
ought to have some quieting effect on those in denial.

The null test might be an interesting way to compare a production
reference amplifier to a newly manufactured unit as part of a
comprehensive final test procedure.

I'm hoping for a way to drive home the point that the "incredible"
differences that get reported, for the most part simply don't exist, due to
the state of current technology making it simple and inexpenisive to build
amps that are sonically perfect. IOW they pass a signal that is not only
indstinguishable from another reference, but in fact identical.