Tony Pearce

Default What is wrong with budget five channel amps?

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Look for as small a Nad as possible.

Having just measured my old NAD 3020 (still used for my computer audio) and
a *very* cheap new Chinese stereo amp (approx $100 US), I was surprised the
Chinese amp beat it in nearly all aspects, including power output, THD, S/N,
IMD, and quality of construction! For some strange reason the NAD's often
fetch more money than the new amp, despite their use of crappy components.
And yes the NAD is working perfectly, so you might say it's lasted OK, but
looking at the PC board, I can't imagine how, or for how much longer :-)

I would certainly buy the cheap new Chinese stereo amp if I had to buy one
today for the OP's purpose.
Sorry I don't know the maker, they are rebadged here.

TonyP.