Peter Larsen

Default What is wrong with budget five channel amps?

Per Stromgren wrote:

I need an amp for the TV sound, to replace the second-hand receiver I
use now. The requirements are very low: it is the basic two channel
amplifier I'm after.

Hifi is dead, look for second hand stuff.

However, all supermarkets around sells 5 channel remote controlled
receivers with surround decoders and RDS tuner for the equivalent of
200-300 US dollars. Is there anything basically wrong with these?

Probably the sound. Buttons cost, and they have plenty, they have to
save somewhere.

Speakers will be closed-box KEF B200+T27 (KEF Choral?), and output
power is not an issue, anything is enough.

Look for as small a Nad as possible.

The Sony STR-DE695 and 495 are good examples of what I am looking at.

Didn't check. Just discarded the Sony catalougue someone gave me,
thought I'd never need it.

Per.