Trevor Wilson

Default Note to Trevor

wrote in message
nk.net...
Isn't it time for you to offer up an I stand corrected regarding tone
controls, EQ and Radio Shack SPL meters?

**No. Rat Shack SPL meters are EXACTLY as I say they a They're fine for
rough and ready measurements. They are not by any measure useful as accurate
devices.

Tone controls may be of some use, IF the problem being addressed can be
precisely matched by those tone controls AND the user has the requisite
equipment and expertise to adjust those controls. The chances of this are
approximately equivalent to that of a big lottery win.

Equalisers come in several flavours. For the sake of simplicity, I will lump
them into four, broad groups and assume that the listener owns and can
properly use the rather sophisticated testing equipment, which is VITAL to
ensure adequate results (Yes, I know it is an over-simplification):

Standard, analogue octave EQs. These are both better and worse than tone
controls, in their actions. Since frequencies and 'Q' cannot be adjusted,
they are of limited usefulness. These are marginally more likely of being
able to be adjusted correctly than a big lottery win.

Third octave analogue EQs. These are SIGNIFICANTLY more useful than octave
EQs. For obvious reasons. A good result is much more likely. About the same
as winning a mid range prize in a lottery.

Parametric analogue EQs. MUCH more useful than any of the above. A good deal
more experience is also required to get the best from these guys too.
However, I do acknowledge that these critters CAN solve problems.

Digital, zero phase shift EQs. Now we're talking. When used with the right
measurement equipment (nothing branded Radio Shack) these guys are capable
of doing the job that people THINK tone controls can do (but actually
cannot).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au