Simon

Default Is the PCM70 still relevant?

Hello to you all

I'm looking at a near mint PCM70. It's going for AU$1200. I see they
go on ebay in the US for about 600. Thats more like AU$900. They are
not 'rare' here but don't come up very often on the second-hand market.
I used one alot in the late 90's - & loved it. Tracks I mixed with it
back then still sound ok to me now. I played with it today and it still
impressed with it's quality (slight output noise aside). What was then,
(in NZ) pretty wiz bang is now probably more utility. But my gut
feeling is that with that box they got it right. I guess these days you
would use it more for bread & butter than special fx as there's so many
more wild & wacky stuff available in software - but does the software
ENDURE?

I've always been a hardware guy - I've been toying with going over to
the dark side (software) for cash vs fidelity reasons, but I still can't
dig the interface (glowing screen) and unreliability issues (insert your
story here) not to mention RSI!!!

I make mostly indie & experimental sounds at my project studio. This is
not my day job. What it boils down to is this.... will a PCM70 lock
one into 80's sounds & aural aesthetics.... or is it still an
enourmously useable great sounding piece that with an eye to
experimentation, one can bend to any modern sound. (DRY is very in
vouge these days don't you think?) Any PCM70 users out there have
success with small dry sounds with that box?

I played with it today with a sine/square oscillator. In about 20mins I
probably made 12 sounds I would want to sample - with just the V2
presets! And I'm not afraid of programming. Have I answered my own
question? What do you think?

peace. Simon.