Brad Clarke

Default Yamaha vs. Onkyo

On 18 Nov 2003 10:48:13 -0800, (Shashi) wrote:

I have SA-HE75. The dialogues are almost always flat, and so I have
crank the volume really up to be able to hear'em, but then other
sounds like gun fire, music etc., get way too loud. To tell you the
truth, my 20dollar computer speakers cum amplifier sound much clearer
than this piece of trash.

Wow, that really is odd.

I swapped out a Yamaha AX-500 and replaced it with the SA-HT400 and
didn't notice any difference in sound quality.

I am using PSB MKII 50s for my front speakers, and Panasonic speakers
for the sub-woofer, centre channel and rear surrounds.

Moreover, the radio seems to be designed by
someone who never uses them. To tune to the presets, you need to
remeber which channel you stored the station your tuning in to -
rather than the actual frequency. The actual frequency (and sound)
shows up a few seconds later...quite moronic. It assumes that you
remeber your 30-40 presets!

My Yamaha TX-500 tuner is similar in that you have to remember which
preset has which station frequency stored...every (digital) tuner that I
have used has been like that.

As I said before, I used to buy only Yamaha gear until they got too
pricey. A former co-worker had an Onkyo receiver and absolutely loved
it, although he did have to take it in for servicing after he had it for
less than a year. My Yamaha amplifier didn't require any servicing
until after 14 years of use.