Shashi

Default Yamaha vs. Onkyo

Brad Clarke wrote in message . ..
On 17 Nov 2003 16:52:31 -0800, (Shashi) wrote:

Which av receiver is better - ONKYO TX-SR501 or Yamaha RX-V540? Any
other suggestion in 300-350 price range? (ONKYO TX-SR601, Yamaha
RX-V640, HK AVR225 etc.) I have a Panasonic that I bought few months
ago. It sounds terrible, and am planning to replace it. It is badly
designed too. So that I don't burn my fingers second time, I want some
experienced opinions (about any brand other than Panasonic and Sony).

What Panasonic model did you buy that you don't like? I have a
SA-HT400, which is basically a 5.1 version of the SA-HE70. I really
like it.

I used to buy nothing but Yamaha gear, until they priced themselves out
of my range.

I have SA-HE75. The dialogues are almost always flat, and so I have
crank the volume really up to be able to hear'em, but then other
sounds like gun fire, music etc., get way too loud. To tell you the
truth, my 20dollar computer speakers cum amplifier sound much clearer
than this piece of trash. Moreover, the radio seems to be designed by
someone who never uses them. To tune to the presets, you need to
remeber which channel you stored the station your tuning in to -
rather than the actual frequency. The actual frequency (and sound)
shows up a few seconds later...quite moronic. It assumes that you
remeber your 30-40 presets!

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
Shashi