Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

Default Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

On 22 Apr 2019 08:29:34 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

** That is complete bull****.

I have spent a great deal of time in my so far 46 year career testing and verifying makers specs for audio equipment ( including speakers ) and find very little to complain about.

Then why do we keep seeing frequency ranges without tolerances? And why
will you never see a distortion spec on a loudspeaker?

I subscribe to a build-your-own-speaker-boxes magazine, and that does
publish impedance curves, distortion, waterfall spectrum, and
horizontal radiation pattern. It has its own measuring room. Most
designs are for HiFi, some for PA.

Distortion can indeed be a problem. At the lowest frequencies (200
hz) it goes up, at the higher ones it can be low if the the poles are
copper-capped (which also shows in the impednce curves). The magazine
measures it at 90 dB SPL at 1 meter, except for very small speaker
units. Above 200 Hz, less than 0.3 % distortion is doable.

Mat Nieuwenhoven