Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default Why are vacuum tubes still used in audio amplifiers instead ofsolid-state transistor

On 05/12/11 20:01, flipper so wittily quipped:
On Tue, 10 May 2011 00:35:40 -0700, Big Bad Bob
wrote:

On 05/08/11 20:48, flipper so wittily quipped:
I can then compete with the crap products by offering real
performance.

Until such time as you build and sell 'real performance' for the same
or less price as the alleged 'crap' you're just an elitist curmudgeon.

there may be a way to build the 'real performance' stuff AND compete
with the 'crap products',

Maybe or maybe not but that isn't the point. The point is Patrick
doesn't have a clue how to design and manufacture a product for the
mass market.

yeah, that was pretty evident with the '100 man hours' part in the
earlier post. Even with point to point wiring, it would only take about
20 to build an amp (my gross estimate), and that's soldering at MY speed
(which isn't all that fast).

Which is not a criticism, per see, because most people don't and it
wouldn't be a problem if he didn't go around pontificating as if he
did.

yeah, but it does make for interesting follow-up discussions. The
various expertise of those who chimed in might be enough to actually
start something [who'd a thunk it?]. Now, where do I find the investors...

/me volunteers as CFO even though I hate accounting