Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Social Distance Jam App?

On 4/13/2020 2:49 PM, polymod wrote:

"Neil"Â* wrote in message ...

snip

The one I was thinking about claimed to be real-time, but who knows?

Hey Neil,
This was a pretty hot topic last week on one of my friend's Facebook page.
Here's his last comment, and I trust his opinion.

"I looked into JamKazam about a month or two ago and was going to
suggest it (as possible solution for occasional rehearsals), but looks
like it's not been supported in a while. The people who have used it
said it worked pretty well, but I have no idea what the latency was
like. (I guess that depends on your system?) I told my son when he gets
into NJIT, he and his friends should come up with a solution"

Best,
Poly

Thanks for the opinions.

My assessment of JamKazam is that it is probably one of the best in
terms of cross-platform support, current w/r/t Mac and Win10, etc. The
main problem to solve has to do with participant's system latencies.
WiFi is out of the question, and latency will depend on things the user
has little control of, such as whether their internet provider's service
is affected by the number of neighbors.

Even assessing latency issues requires a bit of technical knowledge. For
many musicians, this will be beyond reach.

--
best regards,

Neil