Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default SM7B everywhere people speak

Tatonik wrote:

Has the Sennheiser MD-441 ever been popular in radio?

Not in the US. Broadcasters are much too cheap, and the 441 is much too
easy to pop if you eat it. It shows up as a desk mike for interviews in
Europe where broadcasters have money.

What little I've heard of the Electro-Voice RE27 sounded nasty to me.
Maybe I haven't heard it on the right voice yet or with the right
switches engaged. I have an RE20 that I mostly like on my own voice as
long as I don't get closer than about 4 inches. Although there's no
proximity effect, it sounds gloppy to me if I get too close. Haven't
tried a Shure SM7B.

The RE27 is like the RE20 made bright and punchy. It is a fashionable
sound. I don't much like it, and the presence peak makes it less useful
in general (both on voices and instruments) but lots of people do.