lcw999

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

Over the years these Audio newsgroups have been a beehive of
activity regarding Cables, Amps, CD players...etc.

There is a contingent on some of these groups that tend to have
an Engineering bent toward those that frequent the High-End
audio...basically, it states your "imagination is misleading you"
There are no detectable differences in cables, etc.

Even though there are millions out there picking and choosing
components and cables and changing cables...this little group
still tends to "have all the answers". There is a tendency to
measure things...with a limited tool set. This is a small vocal
minority with an Engineering mindset..for the most part!

Suggestions have been made that they cannot get to the
real issues of the measurement and numericalizing of the
audio domain until more extended toolsets are developed.

As an example, I brought up the fundamental issues regarding
our lack of knowledge regarding Sub-Particle issues. We do not yet
know the most basic elements that makes "everything" work and
makes things "stick" together. This was passed off as a rather
oblique issue not related to electronics and cables, etc. Some*
that have written 100,000 responses on these Newsgroups, found
humor in the issue.

The point was that someday it is entirely possible that
once we get down to those most basic levels, some
scenarios as follows might evolve.

1. We might well be able to manipulate some particles
that, much like the Medical profession does with the
bloodstream, we inject elements to better measure
and determine what is going on there.

In this scenario in electronics it might well be possible
to superimpose an intense particle injection on top
of the audio stream and develop measurement
techniques on this most fundamental level that
can be interpreted. There is another sub-atomic
level of processes going on below the audio in
the wire. Who thinks something along these
lines is not attainable? Who thinks that the
measurement processes showing watts, volts
rise-times, etc..is the end of the trail?

Then some comments were made regarding
"...thinking outside of the lines.." This did not
sit too well with some. When, in fact it is these
types that are the "movers and shakers"..things
will get done by this "A" type personality. In fact,
there is an interesting article in the latest edition
of Stereophile regarding one of the individuals
that grasp much of the negative aspects of
metals and its use in Audio components. I suspect we
we shall someday find a bombardment in the
sub-atomic particle level that gives some
negative characteristics to metal in many
applications. There is another sub-particle
world down there...we are just not there yet.
We are still dabbling in a "broadbrush" dimension.

We must await the Scientist and their study
of what makes this all tick and hang together.
When we learn more, then, we will slowly begin
to develop tools and methods to manipulate
this sub-particle dimension. That opens mental
horizons never really touched upon. For example:
..what really causes the so-called "skin-effect" on
audio cables and its alteration of the audio***..I suspect
that when more basic info is available in the sub-particle
arena, there might be an alterable function in the wire
extrusion processes...where wire might well be
bombarded with a given set of sub-particles to achieve
a given effect. The power to manipulate our Universe
will take a quantum leap when we get down to
grasping these most basic particle issues.

The point of all this is that we still have a long way to
go and some basic work is still awaiting in most
disciplines. This basic work will not get accomplished
by the mindset that "we have the answers and if you
differ "..you have a problem with your imagination".
I don't accept that. This is not acceptable. I hear
differences in some cables..others do not!

Let us root for those hidden research Scientist
who are stiving to get all this basic info..it will
be a better Universe when they do..in many
disciplines!

The upshot of all this is to keep an open
mind.

* Interesting story about this kind of thing...

In the Italian Legislature Marconi was
held up for ridicule when one member
of the Legislature held up a wire** and
boldly stated "nothing can go through
this wire...there is no hole in it" This
was followed by a roaring laughter and
approval.

** (This was related to the antenna wire)

(The principle of RF energy was alien to this
group..naturally it must have a hole to flow
through..using their given set of knowledge)

The Legislative member was serious!
It was such a new and unbelievable concept!

Leonard...

*** This is an issue within Amateur radio and
certain wire antennas when loading the
antennas with RF.