Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default MIDI problems resolved

William Sommerwerck wrote:
eMedia was kind enough to send the current version of "Piano for
Dummies" at no charge (once I surrendered the version I already owned).
This fixed the problems. The program can now play the keyboard.

The keyboard can also be set to play through the computer, but there's a
noticeable delay (which you're warned about). The MIDI interface must
present an incredible amount of overhead.

I doubt it's much overhead at all. After all, every MIDI engine ( an
Alesis QSR is a MIDI engine ) in the world works the same way. I
do not recall anyone using MIDI on a PC in say, 1995 trying to do this.
You bought a keyboard or engine for that purpose. MIDI playback was
a lot surrounding game play.

It's all the complexity of a serial port; it "should" Just Work.

I know there's a thing called BioXpander that claims it'll do live VSTi.
Since i have a keyboard, I don't need it so I've never
checked it out.

Am I unreasonable in saying that MIDI doesn't always work the way you
think it "ought" to? This is an issue that most documentation (on any
subject) generally fails to address.

There is comp.music.midi and alt.music.midi.

Again, thanks to those who responded to my initial request for help.

--
Les Cargill