Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Another proposal

Iain Churches wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Iain Churches wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
Iain Churches wrote:

In addition, Radford used a speaker element
(custom Kef IIRC) of 24 Ohms impedance, in his
matched speaker/amp combinations. Was this to
get improved damping, you do think?

I actually didn't even know that.

No, it wouldn't be damping. Don't get me started on that myth too right
now !

So why did he do it?

Heaven only knows.

If the STA 100 had Zo of 0.2 Ohms, that gives a DF of 40 with an 8 Ohm
unit, but 120 with a 24 Ohm speaker.

These are exactly the questions it would be interesting to discuss here.

You mean the myth of 'damping factor' as popularly defined ?

Did you realise it's total junk ? Anyone who can do a Norton/Thevenin
equivalent ciruit analyis can see that.

As I said don't get me started !

So please answer my question Graham?
What was Radford thinking about when he did this.

I truly honesty have NO idea AT ALL. It makes no sense to me. Oh, unless it was
to provide matched dB sensitivity to the other drivers without using a pad. THAT
would make some sense !

Graham