Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Apologies for age-old question ... AD/DA DAW interface?

On 3/24/2021 10:17 AM, Barry B wrote:
One thing I enjoyed at the session on Monday night (which went very well) was just how rock solid and trouble-free the Delta1010 is. Whenever I have to drag out my little Tascam US-366 for a quick USB laptop recording, I have to wrestle with all kinds of settings and recording errors until I get the buffer settings and routing correct. The 1010... turn on the computer and just use it.

This is one of the benefits that you get with an interface that has a PC
bus adapter card like the 1010. The hardware has no ambiguity as to what
it's talking to. But except for a few systems, this is a thing of the
past. Computers are being built with fewer and fewer bus expansion
slots, which in turn is a product of the computer industry deciding that
users shouldn't have to open up their computer in order to connect
something. So now hardware designers have to deal with Firewire (also on
the extinct list), various flavors of USB, Thunderbolt, Lightning, and
now several flavors of Ethernet connection.

You no longer need a screwdriver to install your interface, but you
might need some special kind of luck to have it work reliably.

I'm surprised that the Tascam US-366 is giving you trouble. But then, I
just started using a TASCAM US-44HR and, while I seem to have it working
well with everything but Audacity, every time I open its (rather meager)
control panel, it takes a couple of seconds between when it says "Device
is not connected" to actually showing the settings. Could be that I have
a pretty minimal computer and it would be happier with a faster
processor than a Core2Duo and more memory. But it does sound very good
(better than the Behringer that it replaced) and tests out better than
anyone could expect for the price.