Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default UPS blew out power supply - how?

On 3/5/2021 3:50 PM, nickbatz wrote:
As to lightning storms, the weather is always perfect in sunny Southern California.

Well, I've heard of a few power problems out there, but I still wish I
had bought a house in sunny southern California when I was hot on that
trail. I've got my shots, but it's still too much trouble to go anywhere
further than to the grocery store

But your theory makes sense, because we do have voltage fluctuations from time to time. I have no idea whether the UPS was running on batteries then.

And I still don't know whether replacing the batteries and trying to keep the UPS going is a good idea.

With the last two UPSs (well, to be fair, they were both the same make
and model) that needed new batteries, I found that I could replace the
whole UPS for about $10 more than just replacing the batteries, and that
got me better filtering and faster swtichover, and maybe even a better
battery with the newer units. So that's what I did. Us old geezers have
a hard time accepting that they don't make things that last forever any
more.

A UPS is a good idea, particularly if there's writing to memory in real
time involved - including disk drives and virtual (diskless) disk
drives. More than once I've had power go out when I was recording and
the power went out. The take in progress was lost since I didn't have
the mic preamps running from the UPS, but the computer, or in this case,
the hard disk recorder, was able to shut down orderly.

I do have two multi-outlet isolation transformer boxes, which are a different thing, but they should offer some protection.

Generally those offer surge protection and some are voltage regulators,
but when the power coming in goes off, so does the power going out.