Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

Default Windows Media Player .mp2 files time readout

In message , geoff
writes
On 13/09/2018 9:51 PM, Bill wrote:
Nowadays I just use Audition 3, which doesn't, as far as I know,
enable saving as .mp2.
When I was actively doing this a long, long time ago, I used to use a
"Media Magic" soundcard with Cool Edit, which was the only affordable
device I could find that supported .mp2. Sadly, I no longer have a
working machine with an ISA bus.
I've just tried Audacity and used it to record a test file. I am
embarrassed to say that I didn't think of looking at Reaper or the
other audio softwares I have here, either.
The countdown timer does work here in both VLC and Windows Media
Player on the files I've created, and I haven't yet managed to get
hold of one of the files that showed him the problem.
I did wonder if vbr .mp2 files might behave differently. I don't
know whether DAB .mp2 is vbr or not.

Soundcard has nothing to do with file format playback - that's the
software. If your audio editor can save an MP2 file ( actually is
MP1-Layer-2) it can play it back thru any soundcard. Even Windows Media
Player can !

Surely Audacity can do it, or Reaper ?

Geoff, Yes Audacity can do it, and I have produced some test files.

My reference above to the Media Magic card related to recording .mp2 in
the mid-90's or earlier when I was involved with broadcast audio using
various software. Rival systems used .mp2 files, so we had a requirement
to be able to record .mp2 files for test purposes.

If I remember correctly (always unlikely these days) all mpeg1 layer 2
encoding was carried out in hardware by professional cards. We were
cheapskates, and the Media Magic card was in the domestic market and
available in 2 versions, one of which did hardware encoding, and one
software encoding.

This was well before Audacity, Reaper or any of those appeared. Cool
Edit was the favoured editor then and the version of Audition that I use
still doesn't do .mp2.
--
Bill

---