Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Default Mind Stretchers

Audio Empire wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:35:45 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:

M-L Electrostatics are push-pull and cone speakers

are single-ended. That means that harmonic distortion
in cone speakers will be much harder to control than
it is in electrostatics.

This is myth for several reasons.

I disagree. Electrostatics have the diaphragm driven from both the front and
the rear using opposite phased signals. I.E, the backplane pushes on the
diaphragm (repels it) while the front plane attracts it, and vice versa. This
makes the movement of the diaphragm more linear. In Magnaplaners (which are
magnetic "analogies" of electrostatics) the magnets are generally on one side
of the diaphragm, and one side only (there have been exceptions - the tweeter
panel in the Tympani IIIC's for instance, which had magnets on both the front
and rear of the diaphragms), and distortion is generally higher than with
electrostatics.

You said "cone speaker." How are Mangaplanars "cone speakers?"
The vast, vast majority of "cone speakers" I am aware of are
not designed and constructued the way Magnaplanars are. How
does trotting out an extraordinary exception support the general
case you made, to wit:

"M-L Electrostatics are push-pull and cone speakers
are single-ended. That means that harmonic distortion
in cone speakers will be much harder to control than
it is in electrostatics."

That Magnaplanars may or may not have mote or less distortion
than any other type of speaker is clearly not your assertion,
nor is something I'm at all interested in either defending or
refuting. You made a generalized assertioon about "cone
speakers" which, assert, still stands as a myth, and is not
correct on a technical basis.

Now, if you want to talk about Magnaplanars, consider advancing
that as the subject of the discussion, but they are not "cone
speakers", not in the least. And, most assuredly, various
implementations of them have some significant technical issues,
but "single ended" is merely one of them and arguably not the
dominant one by any means.

Now, if you meant "electrodynamic" vs "electrostatic", then we
can discuss that, but, again, using Magnaplanars as an example of
electrodynamic speakers is a very poor choice for the basis of
such a comparison.

Looking at the more general case of electrodunamic "cone speakers,"
to use your terminology, there is nopthing intrinsic in their design
which makes them "single ended," so, I would assert, any further
arguments based on their "single-endedness" is irrelevant.

--
+ Dick Pierce |