Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Gladys Gladys is offline

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

On 2/27/2011 10:10 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
On 02/27/2011 12:04 AM, MalcolmO wrote:
Hear, hear!

Today people get recording contracts based on how photogenic they are.
Machines sing them into tune. AND THEN

Most
commercial recordings today are released in a form which is far less
than "16-bit" in quality - they have been deliberately compressed
during the mastering process to sound "louder". They've been quashed,
pummeled, clipped, gain-ridden, smelched, and squeezed down into a
tiny dynamic range.

And they wonder why we don't buy records!

I thought it may be interesting to suggest some pre-digital era albums that
were of better source quality than much of what gets put into 1's and 0's
these days.

How about, "Year of the Cat", by Al Stewart?

Or ones that were recorded perfectly digitally - like Mark Knopfler's
"Sailing To Philadelphia".

It can be done.

Gladys.