Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

"marcman" wrote in message
Real audiophiles insist on 32-bit DACs.

You mean real Audiophools :-)
However at least better DAC's still work well with 16 bit files, even if
NONE can deliver better than true 24 bit resolution in our universe, and I
know of no normal home that can really use more than true 16 bit (96dB)
DNR,
or anybody that normally listens to music in a sound proof isolation booth
on a regular basis.

}I've spent half my life in a sound proof isolation booth.
}Don't knock it 'till you've tried it . . .

I'm not knocking it, just staing that despite yourself, it is extremely rare
for normal listening.

And lets not even consider how many actual recordings
even *remotely* approach 16 bit DNR to begin with!

}Huh? What?

Ignoring fades, most modern pop recordings have about 20-30dB real DNR, and
NO recording ever made on tape comes remotely close to needing 16 bits, even
those that used Dolby SR, (and direct to disc recodings were even worse)
Only modern classical digital recordings approach true 16 bit DNR, but who
really wants to listen in a sound proof booth so they can hear the pages
turning anyway? Not too many I'm willing to bet!

Trevor.