Posted to rec.music.gdead,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default 24-bit on tap at Apple?

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
Re-mastering at least in theory means they started with the original raw
tracks

Nope, the term is widely used regardless of what the original source
material was. It simply means some process (anything at all) has been
performed between the source material and what is on the final product.

and did the mixing and EQ all over again and carefully produced a new mixed
master recording with better quality than the old one.

That's what they'd like you to believe of course, and *sometimes* it might
even actually be true.

But sometimes they start with the old final mix and just are more careful
in making a digital transer that will be used to make CDs.

Or not.

A lot of early CDs made from analog tapes were not done very well, the
analog to digital transfers were poor, they benefited from more careful
work later.

Or not, depending on your preference for heavy compression.

Unfortunately some re-mastered recordings have relied on too much noise
reduction software or compression and actually sound worse than previous
versions. There have also been re-mastered albums with questionable
choices, where somebody decided to edit tracks (I think I'll lose that
piano) or added reverb to the drums or whatever (to the outrage of fans
who loved the old version).

Right.

Trevor.