Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Default 5 Channel Amp Comparisons

Lemmy wrote:
OK, I'm looking for a 5 channel amp to power my car stereo system.
Speakers are 5x7s. Not sure of the subwoofer yet which I'm replacing
but nothing bigger than a single 12". Anyone want to comment on any of
the listed amps below and recommend (or critique) one over the other(s)?

Memphi Belle 16 MCH600 5 Channel Amplifier

Alpine PDX5 5 Channel Amplifier

Rockford Fosgate Power1000 5 Channel Amplifier

Kicker ZX700.5 5 Channel Amplifier

US Amps AX5600G 5 Channel Amplifier

Focal Power 5.500 5 Channel Amplifier

I have a Rockford Fosgate 25 to Life Power 1000 and I like it. Right
now it is on four Infinity Kappa 682.7cf (6x8s) and a JL Audio 13w6v2 in
my 2006 Mustang GT.

The pros:

This amp will do more than rated power, like 108x4 @ 4 ohms on the a/b
circuit and 698 @ 2 ohms on the class D channel. At one ohm it is just
a tad under 200 watts per channel on the a/b circuits and close to 1000
watts RMS on the d circuit! I also like the fact that it directly takes
1/0 wire for power and ground. It is also fan cooled. Most importantly
is the price. I purchased mine for $460 and I would be hard pressed to
find an amplifier that can do this amount of power for this price!

The cons:

This amp is friggin huge and you will need about 24 inches of width and
13 inches of height to mount this bad boy. I also don't care for the
chrome finish or the bling factor lights.

Other amps on your list that I would have no problems running would be
the Memphis Belle, the Kicker, or the Focal Power. IIRC, there is also
a Polk Audio 5 channel amp that is pretty close specs wise to these amps
but I have no idea how the Polk Audio amplifier sounds. The first
person to tell me that all amplifiers sounds the same can prepare to be
flamed by a real world test that I performed!

I would shy away from the Alpine because I think that they are lacking
in the midbass area. I could be wrong, but I heard one recently, and I
did not care for the sound that it produced. If I had to describe it, I
would say that it is less than flat. I can't speak for US Amps because
I would only run an older, "Made in the USA" US Amps surfboard sized
beast (lol).