Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Another proposal

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

A SET amplifier rated at (say) 10 Watts @ 8 Ohms, can only deliver a
maximum of 5 Watts, when the impedance falls to 4 Ohms, 2.5 Watts @ 2
Ohms
and so on.

Trevor, you are going round in circles. Please study
IEC/EN/BS EN 60268-5 to which most
competent loudspeakers confirm.
The exception being ESL.

**ESLs ARE competent loudspeakers.

No one suggested they were not. They are the
common exception to IEC/EN/BS EN 60268-5.

When asked about this, Russ Walker smiled and
said that he belived his father Peter had "received
a dispensation from the Pope"

That satisfied everyone:-)

**Except SET owners, of course. SET amps will have problems in coping
with
what is widely acknowledged as the most accurate form of music
reproduction system. Seems like a bad trade-off to me.

I recall a post from Patrick just a couple of days ago,
in which he states that a good SET amp has no difficulty
in driving an ELS. I would presume he says that from
first-hand experience.

**AFTER Patrick submits a frequency response, I'll get interested. I do not,
nor have I ever, suggested that a SET cannot make an ESL produce sound. What
I do dispute, is the ability of a SET amp to drive most ESLs such that they
provide a linear frequency response. IOW: Drive an ESL with a SET amp and
you will probably get sound. With the SETs Patrick mentioned, you may even
get quite acceptable sound (at huge cost). If that SET is compared with
another amplifier, which possesses a suitably low output impedance and high
current ability, then the sound from the ESLs will mostly likely be far more
accurate. Back in the days when I used SE amplifiers, I thought they sounded
pretty good. Great, in fact. Then I built a push pull amp and my world
changed. Simply no comparison. The push pull amp was more powerful, able to
cope with a wide range of load impedances, lower distortion, etc, etc. For
the record: Both SE amp push pull amps used 6V6 output valves. I was 16
years old. I have not bothered with SE designs since. Well, once. I mucked
about with some SE transistor designs (2N301) briefly. I dumped them pretty
quick and went back to valves. Then I discovered KT88s (they cost AUS$25.00
each way back then). Mmmmm. Nice valves. FWIW: One of my instructors at
college was part of the design team at GE-MOV for the KT88.

Trevor Wilson