Posted to rec.audio.pro
darrelldklein darrelldklein is offline

Default Monitor Stands

On Mar 9, 6:18 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On 9 Mar 2007 04:05:15 -0800, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

On Mar 9, 12:15 am, "darrelldklein" wrote:

I used 4" PVC pipe filled with concrete
(using super-fine audiophile grade sand) with plumbing flanges on the
ends mounted to wood bases.

Some people have recommended lead shot as an alternative to sand. I
don't know where to get it (yeah, there's probably a web site
somewhere) but I know that I don't want to pay shipping for it.

Lead shot used to be used for fishing, but it is banned in the UK now
(don't know about elsewhere). As for "audiophile grade" sand, what you
actually need is the stuff sold for kiddies' play boxes - it is free
from cat **** and sterilized, so it won't become an unwelcome part of
the house furnishings during a hot summer.

Pearce Consultinghttp://www.pearce.uk.com

Amen to that Don!

Although this is a big source of debate in some audiophile circles, I
am proud to assert that my studio has been cat-**** free since '93!
This is one of the reasons I am suspicious of Monster cable. What part
of the Monster is in there?

My Ludwig kit has one kick drum with the resonent head mostly cut out.
The current studio cat ignores it, but his predecessor believed the
pillow inside was placed there for her snoozing pleasure. She is gone,
but I left her fur there in place as a keepsake.

Kinda like how Norman Bates kept his mom's corpse in the rocking chair
only a bit less extreme.

Anyway I agree with the essence of what you said: to be audiophile
grade (IMO) speaker stand sand should be devoid of all cat-produced
artifacts and by products.

For the poster who described 4 x 4 wood posts covered in carpet:
Studio Cat asked me to build him one like that.

Seriously. When I put anything anywhere in the studio, I have to think
not *if* the cat will get on top of it, but what will happen *when*
the cat gets on top of it. The studio is contiguous to the house, so
banning cat was never a serious option.