Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald Doug McDonald is offline

Default SACD vs CD vs vinyl; was: Any impressions...

Sonnova wrote:

You don't actually think that a lossy compression algorithm could throw
portions of the waveform away without it being noticeable at least
occasionally, do you?

At 224kb/sec average VBR, or 320 CBR, yes, I DO think it could be unnoticeable.

I have many classical recordings where the actual subtracted difference
between an original and a .wav file regenerated from MP3 is so small,
and in fact sounds just like slightly colored noise, that the difference
would be imperceptible, and to my ears, is.

At 128kb/sec I would make no such claim, and at 96kb/sec, I always hear
differences.

Doug McDonald