Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Any impressions on the EMM Labs CDSA-SE CD/SACD player?

"Sonnova" wrote in message

To set the record straight, my assertions in this thread

1) Modern CD technology is excellent, but I have *some*
phonograph records that sound better than the best CDs.

Practically impossible, since the LP format has so much inherent audbile
noise and distortion.

I am a recording engineer.

Apparently one who has never figured out digital technology, because if you
understand how to exploit digtial technology, then making CDs that sound
better than any LP is hardly rocket science.

I think I know what real music sounds like.

Most people do.

2) Since it is a given that LP is fraught with
inaccuracies and mechanical as well as electrical
distortions and compromises, If there are LPs that sound
better than any CD, then it must be a fortuitous
arrangement of circumstances whereby the colorations
inherent in the medium have combined to make the whole
better than the sum of its parts.

The sonic corruption that is inherent in the LP format is so great and
egregious as to make this highly improable.

3) I never said that distortion, in and of itself, was
good or in any way desirable. I did say that certain
euphonic colorations MIGHT be beneficial to achieving at
least some of the emotional impact of music in the home.

We know that untrained ears confuse added distortion with greater dynamic
range, and can misinterpret the harmonics of bass as being the fundamentals.

4) It is my contention that most people don't care about
accurate sound at all, they just want to hear the tunes.

It is true that more people are interesteded in listening to music. However
it is also well known that some people use snobbish generalizations to
demean the wisdom of the common man.