Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

Default A whole bunch of stuff on the recent ?discussions.

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:
Exactly. It would be nice to figure out just what constitutes a system or a
recoding medium sounding like actual acoustical music, but people are so
afraid to think outside the box, that I doubt if we'll ever figure it out. I
didn't expect that when I started posting (although I was warned about Arny
Krueger).

I don't listen to a lot of acoustic music and I still value the ability
of my system to give me an experience that is closely related to the
live performance, and I too would love to find ways of increasing those
occasions.

IIRC AR speakers and turntables were used in live trials and many people
couldn't tell when the LP or the musicians were playing. Now we either
believe that hi-fi has gone downhill from then, or we find some other
explanation.

As far as newsgroup bullies are concerned, it is best not to argue with
them, because, as they say about argueing with idiots--the problem is
they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Keep posting your ideas because I find them interesting, although I
hesitate to say it here because I know what happens to people who
(occasionally) prefer LP to CD--as I do. While I hate the clicks and the
surface noise, MY INVOLVEMENT with the music has me often play LP's in
preference to CD when I have the option.

And lastly, if sound quality was most important to the masses, we're
going to have a hard time explaining the overwhelming migration to 128
bit MP3's and the huge popularity of Itunes-sold music. Of course, if
your ears and mind can't tell the difference between LP or CD and 128
bit MP3, you are in the wrong newsgroup.

Greg