Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:
wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

But that is a result of the fact that music itself is
subjective, and *cannot* be measured objectively. The closest you can
come
perhaps is to substitute some kind of psychophysiological measurements.

Do you really believe all that???

Notation?
Music theory?
Tuning systems?
Harmonic series?
Compositional devices?

Just to name a few of the obvious ones.

I see your point. Let me correct my statement: the "experiencing" of
music
itself is subjective, and *cannot* be measured objectively.

Now hopefully you can agree to that, which is the part that is relevant
to a
listening test.

I wouldn't disagree, except that soliciting responses under controlled
conditions is also relevant, which is a bogeyman for you for reasons you
have yet to adequitely explain.

They are not mutually exclusive, despite your assertions otherwise.

We simply don't know that. Knowledge of the brain suggests they may be, or
at the very least are different enough demands on the brain that the
"controlled conditions" where those conditions impose the need for
quick-switching, short-snippet, comparative choices interfere with normal
musical perception.

The reason for a control test is to determine which assumptions are
correct.

Saying the experience of music is subjective is sort of belaboring the
obvious.
I think a single word to describe it better, I would use abstraction.

Well, it may be obvious. But the tests being used to say "no difference"
have been shown only to be highly senstive to more objective volume/partial
volume differences...so other aspects of subjectivity may well be blocked.