Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Shure 556S Mics

mcp6453 wrote:

I'll contact them. The windscreen in one of them is foam. It's totally
gone. The last time I asked Shure about a repair, the response was not
good. As I recall, they quoted a flat rate repair for a very simple
problem.

This suggests that the repair consists in shipping a refurb and putting the
broken one in the "to refurb" box to be refurbed once the shelf with
refurbed ones is empty, ie. the probably do it in some kind of a batch mode.
The economic alternative probably is not to offer any repair. As for what
they actually do ... I plain do not know. But waiting too long puts you in
the "no repair" situation once they run out of some part that requiires
production in a large batch, beancounters doesn't like having too large
piles on shelves.

The staked-in thread of one of the screws holding the back plate cover
of one of my SM7s is missing. It would be nice to get it put back, but
it's not worth spending a bunch of money.

This is a different class of microphone - one that probably warrants an
individual repair approach, right? - ask them!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen